Friday, November 21, 2008

Wind, Women, and Stone.




From the southern shore of Jeju
There lies an ocean view before us

Beside broad, radiant fields of rape flowers,
Tangerine and orange orchards
Ringed by rustic walls of piled volcanic stone
Wave in row after row behind us

And spring light and wind through those flowers
And through the seams of those unmortared walls,
Allowing gales to freely pass between.
Their paths dappled with the windy image of you.

Standing a few fields inland
From the sea running gold and green
The waves lift up in the sunlight,
Splashing with images of you

Wind and stone,
So much wind and stone
I hold a memory like wind and stone
Of you.

Wherever I have walked these last two years
I have seemed to see you, only you.
And though you were with me all day today
You will never remember any of this

As I glance outward, the sea is a mirror
That I dare not look into anymore.
It reflects such emptiness
As again you dance into view
And once more trail off on the wind

Here is song from the shore
Of my bones
Along the long stretch
Of my heart
For you

A sound that becomes
A song in my throat
Without words
A sound outside my words

A sound inside my bones,
A sound, just a sound
That is a song without words
Coming from within my soul...

A moan that would become the sound
Of your voice
Speaking my name in a whisper
To my ear.


It will be ages before
The many walls of Jeju or
My love for you
Come down



J. Landon

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
Greetings, My name is Jon Landon. I am a native of the San Francisco Bay Area. I I can write everything from Poetry to Technical Writing, I am a UC Berkeley Alumni ('88)