Sunday, May 31, 2020

Sleepless Rose




Sheer vault of verdigris and cobalt
Taut atop the etherized streets
Vacant and blind their drifts through time
Dream-worn and endless
As the glissade of the dew drop
Down the sleepless rose

Benighted crimson rose robbed
Of her berobe’d blush, robbed
By a suborning wind 
Running fugitive at nightfall
Through sedated neighborhoods
Filled with the oxide glow of lamps 
Above furtive streets-
Citrine and acid green
Beneath the tarnished sky
Stilled called heaven
Where advanced alchemies are performed in gutters

Ex nihilo, The City Of Man.
Hurled stone of star seed,
Ex coelis, Lapis exillis!
Meteor of civilization thrust upward-
Shards of streets and buildings arising
Splintered, gleaming like crystals,
Shafts and clusters streaming upward
Into skyscrapers and bridges-
Rays of countless perspectives
Of  seconds and minutes and degrees of space
At myriad points of attention.
All motion coming together,
Gleaming in crystalline perfection:
The City a jewel at nightfall,
A sleepless rose.

Seeing in my mind’s eye a panoply of vistas
A swirl of ancient places transposed
Over the Berkley/Oakland horizon.
Going in my mind’s eye,
Following the visual perfume
Whither this universal city of man first began.
The dust in my vision 
From Erech to the foundations of Rome.
The empire of memories overlaid
Of great places of the past
Strewn over the map of imagination, 
Its compass rose
Totally awake in all directions

I see encapsulated through the window
Into a prism
That which sees through me, sees past me, sees beyond me
Sees now, in toto, the assemblage of every step of
Civilization, 
Panoptic, like a jewel, multifaceted, spinning.
The Sleepless Rose
Spinning in the eye of the wind
With countless rooms and stairways inside 
And countless reveries
In a kaleidoscope of rose petals.
Rose of time which never sleeps,
Turning and turning in cosmic mansions of mind,
In a starry vista of prisms
Hung in a window that teems with rays and facets
Which scatter throughout the windy room in which I sit,
Ensconced in a psychedelic vision
Bewildered by the magnitude of it all.  

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
Greetings, My name is Jon Landon. I am a native of the San Francisco Bay Area. I I can write everything from Poetry to Technical Writing, I am a UC Berkeley Alumni ('88)