Thursday, September 26, 2019

(Gravity In Its Absoluteness)



Gravity in its absoluteness
Takes hold of even the smallest thing
And draws it toward the sudden center of the world

Each thing
Is held in place like stone whose mass
Kisses the earth, 
Seeking to cling to something larger than itself.
Only we, in our pretension, keep moving
After some idle freedom.

Surrender to the weight of reality,
To Earth’s knowing
Untie the knot
Raveled with every step in all our confusion.

As children of Earth we begin again
Our lesson to understand
The power of stillness
And not to move so much.

Things teach us to fall like a stone
And come to rest.
Even a young bird must fall before it can fly,
For all things want to take wing
And all things, disquiet, want to find rest.
Yet motion and stillness, stillness and motion
Are ultimately one substance.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
Greetings, My name is Jon Landon. I am a native of the San Francisco Bay Area. I I can write everything from Poetry to Technical Writing, I am a UC Berkeley Alumni ('88)