Thursday, October 3, 2019

(Footsteps Within The Mind No More Than Shadows)



Footsteps within the mind
No more than shadows
Of a thought that fades
Through a moon-lit passage way heard by memory.
Footsteps within the mind
That pass without walking
But leave behind footprints within the mind
Moving along a path
Of mere shadows
Inside an artery of mirrors 
Reflecting the pulsations of dying candles,
The blue smoke that travels and disperses
Toward vanished places that turn to dazzling air,
Wisping into emptiness 
As if they never stood.

Memory a hall of stretching mirrors
That gaze expectantly themselves,
Reflecting dreams and time
Of which so little is remembered.

A blue moon passes
Through the loss of what I am saying,
Through the loss of what I am forgetting today
Of what happened yesterday
Only the moon remembers.
Something must be written down.  
The blue moon slips through this page,
Slips through the old buildings of my mind
As the rooftop of my skull 
Shelters teetering memory

I sail away from the world, from myself, 
Every word I write a gallant ship
Like the one I see moving closer toward the horizon, 
Toward invisibility.
Drifting away toward a sea of emptiness,
Drifting after this phrase that drifts from me through time,
That drifts through the past that is engulfed in the future,
That drifts through the future engulfed in the past as if
On a crest of a towering wave each ship   
And each word stood on fluid precipices
In the vast seas of time,
Drifting on the edge
As precarious and bewildering as the one previous.
From the patio of my forehead
I take a step forward into the future once more
Inside an evening whose hollowness will be of vaster magnitude
Than last night or the night before that were vaster 
Than the night before that. This is the womb of death.
This verse is more born than I. 
With every day I become more unborn.

These vagrant words are splashing waves 
On a page of the ocean 
That carves cliffs into nothingness, 
Leaving monumental seascapes behind in its wake.  
Words glitter like wave spume in the moonlight. 
I breath syllables that dissolve behind each new syllable
Into the ocean of writing in which I am buried at sea, my ashes
Spread to the tide that reaches from Hawaii to San Francisco
And from San Francisco to San Shi, Taiwan. 

Places along the Pacific I have been in my journey 
In which I left myself behind,
Never to be found again in that melding of past and future
Which only the moon recalls.  I have vague memories
Of having left myself behind at the Gulf of Cortez,  the Taiwan Straits,
The Yellow Sea, the Red Sea, and the Sea of Japan
And the Atlantic ocean off of the coast of Boston by plane. 
I have seen the tundra of Alaska
And the tundra of Manchuria by plane. But it's all so small
And vague now. Just a smoking ember of memory.  
Just blue smoke curling around and around...

A thought splits into a new thought the way lightning forks
And another day gives birth to memories that will become lost,
Just a flash of lightning,
And the fountain of mind and time never cease storming, 
Nestling into the garden
Billowing, arcing and spraying into the breeze of space
That feeds the fire of being.

Into the far provinces of being
We all move between birth and death,
Vagrant and exiled to the moment.  
Memory simply glimmers away
As if it  were sea spume or the shadow of a bird.  
Lost territories of huge mirrors
To be filled with life which our memory can’t fully contain.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Greetings, My name is Jon Landon. I am a native of the San Francisco Bay Area. I I can write everything from Poetry to Technical Writing, I am a UC Berkeley Alumni ('88)