Saturday, October 5, 2019

Darkness Is This Hotel



The stairs, tipped-over
Still go down smoothly
Like blue ruin

And each step
Though only a minor accident
Quickly spills

Like a sole bottle tipped over
Boiling out with the last sip
Of tumbling, desperate life.

Past squalid shadows,
Gross and sedentary
Feeding like vermin on my life

The walls of this room suffer an affliction
Of shadows that increase nightly
Like unfumigated pests

A swarm and welter 
That never rest,
Evading all attempts to crush them

That would squeeze
The mood
Of death right out of them.

Yet all I constantly see are dripping shadows
Inside the water-seeped walls of my mind
Of pipes that need fixing

The window just a leap away
Onto the collapsed balcony
Of rusting, filth strewn fire escape

But the escape
Is no escape
No escape at all. .  
Look  upon those stairs; they are eaten
Each one caught in a slow process
Of digestion,
A metabolism of hell.

Halls of this hotel a vast intestine
Devoured by the mouth of a door
A stomach of green walls and bowels of green carpeted floors
Evacuated down a rickety fire escape

This place within burnt down so many times
By flames of despair but always rebuilt
And let out to human hazard once more

Barbed ledges, simulacrum of owls
To chase away the cooing scavengers
That perch there nonetheless, defecating
Foraging the crumbs of thoughts
I scatter out the windows
Onto the foul pigeon stoops
Of my soul

As gluttonous shadows of buildings
Spill into the streets
Bending down with the obesity
Of the entire world,

Dripping into human shapes 
Twisted in the light that filters
Down into urban canyons
Aligned like teeth and jaws

Everyman on earth lives in the same room
Yet, in some
Gentlemen
Gather for cigars and cognac
As a private butler, master connoisseur,
Pours a vintage more expensive
Than one’s last breath

Darkness is the hotel
I live in
I’d have to fly if I were ever
To get out of here

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Greetings, My name is Jon Landon. I am a native of the San Francisco Bay Area. I I can write everything from Poetry to Technical Writing, I am a UC Berkeley Alumni ('88)