Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Well Of The Ancient City







There is a common well 
In every ancient city 
Known in all tongues
By a shared root of meaning,
By a shared route of traveling,
The same route traveled and understood
For centuries
By rootless nomads and inhabitants  
To this ancient square. 

Coming to gather and drink of
This cognate water,
This cognate blood
Of all mankind, 
Drunk by many tongues
In this city of the ages.

At the heart of the city,
This well drawn from for thousands of years
In the middle of rotaries and sun-baked edifices
By women inside my vision
Blasted by truculence of sunlight
In the asperity of dust and desert,
Dressed in robes and sandals 
With long black hair in scarves
Inside an aureole of blistering sand and powder
Who know that without the well 
There is no city.

Within its protective walls

The well  known across the world by the same shared root
The city known across the world by the same shared route.
It is the one well of all wells in the one city of all  cities
As the millennia conflate into stern vision
Of the preciousness of water
And the hard work to journey to and claim it amidst dry land.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Greetings, My name is Jon Landon. I am a native of the San Francisco Bay Area. I I can write everything from Poetry to Technical Writing, I am a UC Berkeley Alumni ('88)