Monday, July 22, 2019

Endless Practice



I walk through a poem
Inside my soul, rehearsing myself.
Footsteps of my thoughts pausing over unwritten pages
That lead toward a gate that opens into an incomplete  work,
Toward works which I have not yet written-
A gate leading to a field of inchoate thoughts, 
To broken reflections of lines 
I attempt to assemble like echoes into new language
In which I can't find any words, 
The moment like an unfinished poem
Shifting in the light of gathering silence 
That becomes more complete
As it turns inside the shadows of speech that can’t say
How the magnolias there blossom with poems
And bask in the whiteness of the page

The impress of my unspoken voice
Like footprints trailing behind me 
A long script of verse of where I have still not yet reached
My footsteps naturally finding a path into what is hard to say
And in an act of endless practice I enter the lacuna of this poem
Coming to rest in a rock garden beneath a magnolia,
A huge stone brought in from a distant mountain 
There at its center- the epitome of silence and stillness-
Becoming my focus beneath the gaze of a daytime moon
As exclamations of birds in flowering branches turn to air
And the hard stone harbors deep inside my thoughts 
Cementing my tongue on which moss grows.

Engaged with this stone in trying dialogue
I give way to what it says and simply listen,
Sitting with it inside the open gate of the poem
Meditating in the afternoon.

By a sudden breeze I am called
To receive Shoken from a vague, reticent Moon
Who gazes at me for a long hush, saying nothing, 
Sitting agura in a light blue sky 
Where no thoughts come. 
I have no questions. She has no answers.
For meditation this is superb
For endless practice this is excellent.

Shoken:a private audience with a Zen preceptor
Agura: sitting in loose, cross-legged meditation

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Greetings, My name is Jon Landon. I am a native of the San Francisco Bay Area. I I can write everything from Poetry to Technical Writing, I am a UC Berkeley Alumni ('88)