Wednesday, July 3, 2019

In All Of My Travels




Through a world
In which our tongues possess
Only root metaphors
I have gone around a thousand hectic corners in my journeys
And cut them all, and they too me,
In search of understanding without language
For concepts are metaphors, I learned
That do not correspond to reality, that language
Is ultimately all conjecture about the nature of reality

Down a thousand foreign streets
I’ve been grounded and rounded down
Into the ground and figure of speech
That I couldn’t speak and which I simply didn’t understand
As I walked along, alienated
Passing the poor knife sharpeners of China squatting on the street
And the taxi drivers playing cards in a gutter of Shenyang,
Beneath utterly polluted rust colored air
Each step  shaving and rounding off fractions of distance
And making it more honed, always on foot
Walking through foreign cities, influent,
Always rounding off fractions, step by step
The sweat of walking in a fractured world (with a fractured mind)
Making time, by the second, more acute, as sweat dripped
And I the tenor of metaphor wandered past vehicles of metaphor
In which I could discount this world of metaphors with a shrug.

In the bazaars of every language
Rounding a busy corner and walking past the pots, pans, utensils
And vessels of language,  the crockery, cutlery
And bright edges of sounds of words
I didn’t understand in the street markets of Arabia
Those words to fill a kitchen and to cook a world with meaning
My travels showed me that we abstract language from reality,
The way a man wears a hat
But our abstractions do not completely represent reality-
Thus I moved in a world lost in translation.

And I learned
Through a world in which all language, sign and signified,
Is ultimately only a metaphorical relationship
Three words that echo
Across seas and continents
Three words, but they carry
And if you travel
You must learn these three
For they will answer all the demands
Of a fourth word too you must learn, the most essential of all:
I
And of the fourth you will spend a lifetime
To learn the meaning of,
But only as you master the first three
Or languish
Answering the very basics of the soul
Want, Need, and Have.
If you move, and beyond
Their meanings have legs:
Through a world in which we only have a small window of reality
I have found in every language and place
One thing that carries everywhere
These three verbs have legs:
I want…, need… and do you have.
If you travel abroad
You must learn these words.
If you move, and beyond
I have.
Paper and pen don't even begin to describe.
Countless space could be given to the countless space
Demarcating the space that metaphors travel,
From sphere to sphere.
So much time could be surrendered
To just these four words
You take your poor soul about the world to learn again
That everything
Is The Poem.
Will , desire and emptiness write the song.
As you enter speechlessness
At each encounter,
You find that traveling
Without a tongue
Is like the act of writing poetry.
Constantly you find no language for things,
Constantly you can't explain yourself amidst them,
Repeatedly you can't explain what you really need
Or mean
To anyone.
And they all laugh, or blush when you try
To speak.
Like a baby you move through the world.
Just a baby. A baby that grows
Stranger every day.
Only a vision wanders upon that strange tongue.
Don't go anywhere.
If you are a true poet, you don't need to.
Though you may want to, you don't have to.
But you probably will anyway.
Yet I tell you
A leaf is a ticket.
Stay where you are
Lest you desire to endlessly negotiate
Your wants and desires amidst alienation
With what little
Everyone has to give for your money
And find that it was all a waste of breath
To begin with. There is much suffering
Involved with a wanderer’s suitcase.
It is better to go No-where.
Everyday. Travel here. It costs No-thing.
Otherwise...
There is only the swift transformation that strangeness and Otherness brings...
Life inside a metaphor upon an empty tongue,
The same everywhere
No matter how far you travel

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Greetings, My name is Jon Landon. I am a native of the San Francisco Bay Area. I I can write everything from Poetry to Technical Writing, I am a UC Berkeley Alumni ('88)