Saturday, August 10, 2019

Nautica And Her Maidens





Wanton sleeplessness
Beneath an open window
So that epic and heroic dreams of
Lust can fly
In and out
Of my sultry room,
The lapping tide
Of traffic rolling back and forth,
Its murmur filling my ears as I lie spilled
Across my bed, exhausted, face down…

…A castaway washed up, blasted from breasting the waves
Across vast seas
of the city
through innumerable islands
of blocks
above wide reefs
 of streets,
  along interminable shores
                                                                  of sidewalks
                                                        stranded in
                                                                                        cafes,

                                                Bouncing and bounced
                                                From bars of sand

             …All waving with women…

    Here onto this land in the heat of the day have I floated…

Face down, my panting mouth pressed against the large, firm breast
Of shore, my mainmast toppled, its remains scattered beneath me
On this tight belly of sand, a foaming bed, the sail of sheets clinging wetly
To my empty stomach and weakened legs
As I am gathered up by the soft hands of maidens
Bringing me off to pools of… I am jolted! My seamen! Whe..?… 
Then …it comes… agh…
A wrenching ache! ugh! ! Again!
There are none remaining, gone, never more, far scattered, spilled
Into the throat of devouring waves, forever swallowed in the caves of the deep.
With one eye I weep for them. 

Faint, I collapse.
As now I see, barely believing, a handful of gorgeous maidens
In my vivid, erotic imagination
Encircling me, scantily dressed for disport beside the waves
These waves into which so many, so many of my seamen have spilled!

And every day Nautica and her maidens come
To this same location and find me
Day after day in this same condition
So nearly dead from exhaustion, from my exposure
To the sea and its waves, to the city and its traffic
Needing aliments and medicine
And in my delirium I hear them applaud
My resurrection as I rise, my limbs stiff
Aching to be massaged and anointed, murmuring to the women to help me
Find my men, to bring them forth,
That I know they are close, very close
Rousing myself to stand, to come inside their circle.
They merely stroke my head and say, “there, there…”
Running my hands across myself to see that I am all there
They bare me to a nipple of sandy hillocks which the wind undresses   

I am a foreigner
As my gazes passes across them like a wind
Caressing their skin, touching everywhere
One after another are satisfied
To help me come
Back to life, “ah” they say, “our drowned man, he is so large
A towering member of a great people from some distant land".

And at the end of my great
Mind that towers
Like waves across the shores
That remember how we escaped Circe, or was it that other
Wild woman, what was her name? Calypso
And how naked, battered and hungry
Nautica and her maidens take me every day
To her Father to be recognized as a king,
Ahh!!….

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Greetings, My name is Jon Landon. I am a native of the San Francisco Bay Area. I I can write everything from Poetry to Technical Writing, I am a UC Berkeley Alumni ('88)